Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas break and are ready for the new term ahead. This is a very important term for Year 6 as they are preparing for their SATs. Please support them in completing homework, Maths Whizz and reading at home.
Our Learning Focus theme for this term is The 1950s.’ We will continue our learning from when WW2 ended and focus on popular culture of the time.
In addition to the weekly homework that the children will be given (see reminders) they will be completing an Independent Learning Activity over the course of the term. I would like the children to choose a theme eg. film, music, inventions, Royal Family and create a project based on their theme from the 1950s. This could be a research based project, a poster, a record cover, a fashion item – the sky is the limit!
Miss Hammond and Mrs Smart are here to support us everyday and we even get weekly visits from Ms. Stevenson!
A few reminders
· Water bottles –please make sure that children have water for inside the classroom and that water bottles are named.
· Reading books need to be in school EVERY day as the children will be using them each morning. Please continue to support us by reading at home (at least 10 minutes a night). If you do, can you please jot it in their reading diary.
· Tuck is available to buy from school ranging in price from 20p to 50p.
· Homework: This is handed out on a Thursday and is expected back the following Wednesday. Literacy and Numeracy homework will be linked to the work the children have been doing in school. Homework also includes spellings, which will be tested the week after they were given out. If the children need any support with their homework, they can come to me before Wednesday and we will work through it together.
· PE: Lessons take place on a Wednesday. Remember that PE kit is plain jogging bottoms (no zips/logos) and either their team colour shirt or plain white. Team coloured shirts are available to buy from school at a very reasonable price. Please ensure that children have suitable trainers / plimsolls as well. Children must not wear earrings during PE sessions and they will have to remove any studs themselves. Plasters will not be accepted.
Thank you for all your continued support. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to pop in.
Please find a list of links that are useful for SATs revision. They are full of handy hints, games, activities and practice questions to be done by the child alone or together.
The following websites will help your child practise for their Literacy SATs in a fun and interactive way.
Spelling and Grammar Practise
The following websites have games and activities to help the children practise the skills they will need for their SATs papers but in a fun an interactive way.
This website has some past papers you can look at with your child.
BBC Education have produced a whole host of materials for KS2. Follow the KS2 link and then select either Maths or English.
A site with both Maths and English based quizzes which are marked as you go along.
A site with a range of information and questions – great for revision purposes!
IXL – This website has a range of English and Maths practice activities for your child to do on-line.